Sunday, September 7, 2014

Hotel Hot Wings

Hi Bonnie.  When I was traveling a lot last year, I mostly stayed in Residence Inn by Marriott.  On weekends (as you know), I really enjoy hot wings while I watch sports.  There usually wasn't a wings place nearby, so I had to figure out how to make good hot wings and french fries with just a cook top range and a microwave oven.  I think I figured it out.  I made some yesterday in the apartment and thought I would share the method with you.  It's very simple and makes great Hotel Hot Wings.

Here are the ingredients:  whole chicken wings, all purpose flour,
rank's Red Hot, butter and microwave french fries.
The microwave fries are surprisingly good.

 I use whole wings. They are thawed, not frozen.

The stock pot is full of water and I'm bringing it
to a boil before putting the chicken wings in.

Fresh beer helps the process go more smoothly.

Timer is set for eleven minutes.

The wings go into the boiling water and cook for exactly eleven minutes.
Near the end of the cooking time, some of the wings float to the top.
This also seems to take some fat out of the wings,
you can the see some of the fat rising to the top.
Maybe it's more healthy.

When the wings are done, let them cool and cut them
into sections and throw away the tips.

Here are the cut up wings. There are 16 pieces.

Then I coat the wings in flour.  I don't add any liquid
because the wings have oily skin from the boiling.
I also don't make the coating thick.


It's time to make the wings sauce.
I use the classic 1/3 cup butter and 1/2 cup of Frank's Red Hot.
I put the burner on very low heat
and leave the pan on until the butter melts.


Now I fry the wings in a little bit of oil
to brown them and get them crispy.
I cook them on medium low to reduce splatters.

It's time to make the fries.  Only four minutes in the microwave oven.

Pour sauce on the wings and it's time to eat!

The kitchen gets a little messed up, but it's worth it.

All done.

4 comments:

  1. What a great recipe! Makes me hungry. Also, thanks for posting the picture of the clean kitchen at the end there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All recipes ought to be documented this thoroughly. I think even I could make the wings from it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice wings. Mark hasn't made wings in a long time. Good cooking I canned 6 quarts of tomatoes.

    Great looking wing, but would be wonderful over an open fire with cold beer and Jack...(from Mark)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, nice observation. I thought of this too, this wings method is perfect for camping. It uses only boiling water and a frying pan. (and Jack). Do you remember when one of the scouts tried to fry wings on a campout at a CCLT camporee and the oil couldn't get hot enough over the open flame? This is a better method.

    ReplyDelete